Denise Appleby, APA, CISP, CRPS, CRC®, CRSP
Denise Appleby, APA, CISP, CRPS, CRC®, CRSP, IRA Strategies for Mistakes Prevention Expert, is adept in all aspects of retirement planning with special expertise in IRA rules, regulations and strategies for mistakes prevention.
Denise's special expertise is her proficiency in and knack for explaining complex retirement plan rules and regulations so that they are easily understood, particularly the intricacies of IRAs. Denise has extensive experience with training the staff and financial advisors of many broker-dealer on retirement plans related topics, creating a demand for her to speak at various conferences and seminars around the country.
Denise is founder and owner of Appleby Retirement Consulting, Inc, a firm that provides IRA tools and resources for financial and tax professionals. Denise's wealth of knowledge in retirement plans led to her making appearances on CNBC's Business News and being quoted in the Wall Street Journal, Investor's Business Daily, CBS Marketwatch's Retirement Weekly and other financial publications, where she gave insights on retirement planning.
With over fourteen years of experience in the IRA and defined contribution plans fields, Denise held several senior retirement plans related positions with Pershing LLC, which includes Vice President of Retirement Plans Products and Services, Retirement Plans Manager, Trainer, Training Manager, Compliance Consultant, Technical Help Desk Manager and Writer.
While with Pershing, Denise served as a member and firm representative of the Security Industry Association's (SIA) Retirement and Savings Committee and has spoken at their Savings & Retirement Symposium , which is attended by financial services professionals from a variety of fields, including marketing, sales, legal, operations, and strategic planning.
- Accredited Pension Administrator (APA), National Institute of Pension Administrators, Chicago IL
- Certified IRA Services Professional (CISP) Institute Of Certified Bankers, Washington DC
- Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist (CRPS)College of Financial Planning; Denver CO
- Certified Retirement Counselor (CRC), International Foundation for Retirement Education (InFRE)
- Certified Retirement Services Professional (CRSP), Institute Of Certified Bankers, Washington DC
Denise received several recognition awards for outstanding job-related performances, including Pershing's Leadership Awards for significant contribution to the development of system rules engine and policies & procedures for changes effected by new tax laws and the Outstanding Representative Award from New York Metropolitan Society of Consumer Affairs Professionals.
Denise has also written over two hundred articles for many newsletters, including the Pershing LLCs SixtySomething, Pershing LLC's "The Pershing Press", Ed Slott's IRA Advisor and www.Investopedia.com.
With her experience, interests and qualifications dedicated to retirement plans, Denise has co-authored the following three books on retirement accounts:
- Roth IRA Answer Book,, published by Aspen Publishers. The Roth IRA Answer Book, Sixth Edition provides an up-to-the-minute tutorial on this subject for a wide variety of professional markets, including pension consultants, insurance agents, financial planners and investment advisors, plan administrators, lawyers, and accountants, as well as businesses that promote, market, service, or provide technical support to retirement plans, products, and related services.
- Quick Reference to IRAs, published by Aspen Publishers. The QuickReference to IRAs provides attorneys, accountants, financial planners, and consultants - along with their clients - with the essential facts and advice regarding the planning, implementation, and administration of IRAs.
- Adviser's Guide to Retirement Plans for Small Businesses, published by AICPA. The Adviser's Guide to Retirement Plans for Small Businesses is designed to provide you with the knowledge and tools you need to offer strategic advice about retirement plans. In 30 chapters, you’ll find discussion of statutory requirements, the legal structure of various plan types, as well as detailed information on plan design, establishment, monitoring, administration, correction of failures, and termination.
Denise is also an editor, providing technical editing services for books, newsletters , articles and other material on retirement plans and retirement planning. Books edited by Denise includes Quick Reference to IRAs by Gary lesser and Don Levy-2003; SIMPLE, SEP and SARSEP Answer Book by Gary Lesser and Susan Diehl Ninth Edition, "Parlay Your IRA Into a Family Fortune" (Viking; 2005) by Ed Slott.
View YouTube clips for many of Denise Appleby's presentations!
Read recent summary articles by Denise Appleby
Click on the icons to the right to read summary transcript articles of presentations by Denise Appleby included in recent issues of Retirement InSight and Trends.
Have Denise Appleby speak at your upcoming event
Denise Appleby, APA, CISP, CRPS, CRC®, CRSP, IRA Strategies for Mistakes Prevention Expert, is available to do presentations on a variety of topics for your retirement professional development or consumer events.
Please visit the Retirement Speakers Bureau to find out how you can request this or other leading industry experts to speak at your next meeting, conference, or other event.
Take Denise Appleby's online courses
NEW!!! IRA Training Series in Elearning format
Appleby's IRA Training Series of 12 courses is intended to provide an understanding of the rules and regulations that apply to IRAs, with a focus on contributions, rollovers, transfers and distributions. The courses focus on the technical and compliance aspects of these rules, and are intended to help you understand the steps that should be taken to avoid and/or correct mistakes where allowed.
Each individual course is approved for 1.5 CFP®, CRC® and PACE CE upon passing the online quiz, for a total of 18 CE hrs for the series.
Click on any of the twelve Appleby IRA Training Series courses below to learn more or to purchased for $44.95 each, or SAVE 25% by purchasing all twelve elearning courses for $395. You keep $144 in your pocket!
How to Identify and Serve Small Business Prospects for Sep IRAs Course 12 becomes available on 12/23/15.
Appleby Quick Courses
For those who want a refresher on Traditional IRA Distributions or Year-end Planning and Compliance Requirements for IRAs, Denise Appleby offers two one-hour courses highlighting those topics. Both courses confer 1.0 CFP®, CRC® and PACE CE upon passing the online quiz. These courses are available for $29 individually, or at no extra cost for IRRC Professional Development Members.
|Need CFP®, CRC®, or PACE CE? FULL ACCESS to 40+ courses|
Appleby Quick Reference Guides
IRA Quick Reference Print Guides *BUNDLE of 8*
Your clients are asking you for quick answers about their IRA options, RMDs, penalty exceptions, and more. Have answers at your fingertips with IRA industry expert Denise Appleby's IRA Quick Reference Guides, covering the leading topics asked of retirement professionals during planning sessions.
The individual guides below are available for $22.50 each, or
save $50 when you purchase all eight of Appleby's IRA Quick Reference Print Guides for $130.
IRA Quick Reference Frequently Asked Questions Booklet
Appleby's IRA Quick Reference Guides and Frequently Asked Questions Spiral Bound Booklet gives you Denise Appleby's IRA Quick Reference Guides in one handy reference. $75 price includes shipping and handling fee.
Click here to see the Table of Contents.
Here's what a leading IRA expert had to say about these handy tools:
"Denise Appleby has created charts summarizing Roth vs. traditional IRA, portability (what type of plan can be rolled into what other type of plan), and more. I wish everyone who answers an 800 number at the big financial firms had these charts, so there would be fewer incidents of erroneous advice." - Natalie B. Choate