Michael Falk, CFA, CRC®
Michael Falk, CFA, CRC®, is a consultant and partner with the Focus Consulting Group, and a partner and the chief strategist on a global macro hedge fund.
Michael is an engaging, creative asset management professional, and offers equally engaging presentations and materials on asset allocation research and portfolio development expertise.
The asset consulting perspective acknowledges that the wisdom of crowds can denigrate into madness at times. Assets should be managed with the serenity to accept the market’s realities; the courage to pursue its opportunities; and the ongoing pursuit of wisdom to understand the difference.
Michael's background includes extensive asset allocation research and portfolio development expertise along with a multi-faceted understanding of behavioral finance and retirement issues.
Michael formerly was the CIO in charge of manager due diligence and asset allocation for a multi-billion dollar advisory, one of the first firms to provide managed accounts for reluctant 401(K) investors - those that can't, or won't, invest wisely themselves.
Michael is a contributing member of the PDDARI group within the Financial Management Association (FMA), the Vice Chair of the Plan Sponsor Council of America’s Investment Committee, and teaches as an adjunct professor at DePaul University in their Certified Financial Planner (CFP) Certificate Program as well as on behalf of the CFA Society of Chicago and is frequently quoted in the financial press. He graduated from the University of Illinois with a B.S. in Finance.
- Defined Contribution Insights, “Asset Allocation for Today’s Times?”, 2012
- “Portfolio Construction Needs an Overhaul”, guest column in FUNDfire, 2012
- “Investment Beliefs: Separating the Real Stuff from the Fluff”, commissioned paper 2012
- “What’s the Best Way to Promote Large caps?”, guest column in FUNDfire, 2011
- Defined Contribution Insights, “Enough About the Assets Already”, 2011
- “Uncommon Investment Sense”, commissioned paper, 2011
- Advisor Perspectives, “Solving the REAL Debt Crisis”, 2011
- Defined Contribution Insights, “Investing, Like Life, Is About Balance”, 2011
- “Risk Management: A Tactical Multi-Manager Approach”, commissioned paper, 2010
- Financial Planning Association (FPA) of Illinois, Behavioral Finance & Neuroscience, 2007 and 2010
- “Portfolio Construction for the Long Run (And Now)”, commissioned paper, 2008
- Institutional Investor, “Managed Accounts & Default Investments – Serving the Reluctant Investor”, 2006
- Chicago Sun Times, “How Lifecycle Funds Ease Investing Angst”, 2005
- Profit Sharing, “An Evolved Solution - Participant Success Hinges on Plan Design”, 2002
- Sharing Ideas (International Foundation for Retirement Education), “Their Quality of Retirement Matters”, 2001
- Employee Benefits Journal, “A New Alternative for 401(k) Plan Structuring”, with David Wolfe, 1998
View summary transcripts of several of Michael Falk's presentations
that were included in recent issues of InFRE's FREE Quarterly Newsletter,
Retirement Insight and Trends.
Most Requested Presentations:
Aside from his consulting work, Mr. Falk is part of the CFA Institute’s Approved Speaker List.
CFA Institute Approved Speakers Programs, Global Society Presentations, 2004 – Present
- Is Retirement Past Its Prime? The Economic & Behavioral Realities of Retirement
- Behavioral Finance & Neuroscience: Rational Is As Rational Does
- Lies, Damned Lies & Mathematical Forecasting: Of Optimization and Allocation
- Psychology, Neurology… How Your Biology Impacts Your Investment Decisions
- Inside Indexing Conference Expanding Your DC… Does Indexing Work in Every Asset Class?, panelist 2012
- CFA Chicago, Entitlements, Austerity, Taxes and the Mortgage Crisis, panelist 2011
- FMA Annual Conference, Core Research Challenges Facing Practitioners, panelist 2011
- MarketWatch / WSJ Exchange Traded Funds Panel, panelist 2011
- FMA Annual Conference, Frontiers of Asset Management, panel moderator, 2010
- Plan Sponsor Council of America (PSCA) Conferences, various topics, 2001 – 2003 and 2010
- CFA Chicago, The Future of Asset Allocation Theories: Are They Alive, Dead, or on Life Support? Panelist, 2010
- Morningstar Investment Conference 2009, Can MPT Take the Heat of a Meltdown?, debate
- FMA Midwest Finance Association Conference, Hedge Fund & Fundamental Indexation panels, 2009
- FPA Illinois, The Pension Protection Act of 2006 with TIAA-CREF, 2007
- World Research Group, Best Practices in Retirement Education & Communication Program, 2005 and 2006
- Gardner Carton & Douglas (now DrinkerBiddle), Enhancing the Value of Your Retirement Plan While Managing Your Fiduciary Exposure with Managed Accounts, 2004
- Int’l Institute of Research National Forum, Asset Allocation & Investment Policy Design for Pension Plans, 2000
- National Institute Personal Financial Employee Education (NIPFEE), 1999
Michael Falk, CFA, CRC®, Behavioral Finance & Investment Management Expert, is available to do presentations on a variety of topics for your retirement professional development or consumer events.
Please visit the Retirement Speakers Bureau to find out how you can request Michael to speak at your next meeting, conference, or other event.