This course is brought to you from a recent live webinar and will be REBROADCAST on Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM EST – no need to take the online quiz to receive CE! Or you may take this online recorded webinar learning course at any time for 1 hr CFP®, CRC®, and other Continuing Education Credit when you pass the online quiz.
Qualified retirement plans can create numerous estate planning problems.
Upon death, an IRA is subject to income tax, federal estate tax, possible state income tax, and possible state inheritance tax. A retirement plan trust can avoid tax problems while it protects beneficiaries.
In this one-hour session “IRA Beneficiary Designations and Surviving Spouse Strategies: Why Many IRA Owners Should Use a Retirement Plan Trust” you will learn:
- How a retirement plan trust avoids problems such as a beneficiary deciding to cash out early, or a beneficiary rolling over the client’s IRA into the beneficiary’s IRA;
- Problems with naming individuals as beneficiaries and how a retirement plan trust avoids them;
- Situations where a retirement plan trust should be used as the beneficiary of an IRA;
- How a retirement plan trust can protect your beneficiaries from: making bad financial decisions, going through guardianship for a minor child, and existing creditors of the beneficiary;
- Why a retirement plan trust is a better beneficiary than an ordinary living trust.
Attorney Rex L. Hogue, has been practicing estate law since 1992. He handles everything from small estates to estates in excess of $300 million, and has earned acclaim for involvement in groundbreaking cases, most notably Estate of Kelley v. Commissioner, TC Memo 2005-235 for which he designed the family limited partnership. He is frequently asked to speak regarding the success of that case, family limited partnership and other complex aspects of estate planning and administration.
In addition to his speaking engagements with bar associations, trade groups, community colleges, and churches. He had a radio show with a CPA for a time and, he has been a guest on several radio shows. He has authored numerous articles on estate law topics, as well as several books, including Practical Estate Planning, an easy-to-understand book for the general public that explains the pros and cons of the basic estate planning tools and the estate planning process.
Moderator: Betty Meredith, CFA, CFP®, CRC®, Int’l Retirement Resource Center
1 hr CFP®, CRC®, and other CE Credit Reporting
Overall Rating: 4.3 / 5
Retail: $29.00 Add to Cart
Video and audio MP3 formats available
Specifications: 60-minute webinar course
Knowledge Level: 3 – Intermediate
Your satisfaction guaranteed: We know that you will be pleased with your purchase of this product. If, however, you are not completely satisfied notify us within 30 days of your purchase to receive a full refund of your fee, less any CFP® CE reporting fees for courses that were filed prior to membership cancellation.